One of the oldest and most elegant residences in the nation's capital The Ambassador Bruce House, built circa 1810, is arguably the most storied private home in Georgetown. The home was owned for decades by one of America's most recognized and distinguished diplomatic couples, David K.E. Bruce and Evangeline Bell Bruce. Today, old-world Georgetown elegance has now been transformed into a state-of-the art home for modern living.
The expansive 2015 renovation most notably features an award winning 22,000-pound marble staircase constructed of solid blocks of the same marble used for the Thomas Jefferson Memorial (Olympian White Danby marble from Vermont). The 12,200 square foot property offers 7 bedrooms, 14 bathrooms, 9 fireplaces, geothermal heating and cooling and an expanded lower level entertainment area with bar, wine cellar, and private guest quarters or caretakers unit. A 34-foot ballroom features Jeffersonian windows that lead to the 1/3 acre of grounds masterfully designed by landscape architect, Rose Greely, including a private gym, heated lap pool, lavish gardens, expansive terrace and lawn fitted for entertaining under a tent. The interior design of the home was completed by the renowned Patrick Sutton. The offering of 1405 34th Street represents a rare and unrivaled opportunity to own a special piece of Georgetown history.